- 450 g aubergines
- 225 g onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 tblsp vegetable oil
- 450 g tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 450 g courgettes, sliced
- 450 g red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1 tblsp fresh basil, roughly torn
- salt & pepper
- parsley, chopped
- Slice aubergines and sprinkle with salt, leave for 30 minutes, pat dry. The salt will draw out any bitterness along with excess moisture.
- Cook onions gently with garlic in oil until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients, except parsley, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place in a casserole dish and cover.
- Cook until vegetables are soft.
- Fan oven (160C, 50 - 60 minutes). For a conventional oven, pre-heat and bake at180C for 60 - 90 minutes. In a gas oven, set to Mark 3 and bake for 60 - 90 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.