Catherine Fulvio offers her version of Caponata which she serves as the centrepiece to a plate of antipasti.
- 2 medium aubergines (cubed)
- 5 celery stalks, trimmed and cut into 1.5cm pieces
- olive oil, extra virgin, for cooking aubergines
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 125 g green olives
- 65 g capers (rinsed)
- 400 ml (homemade) tomato sauce
- 50 ml vinegar
- 2 tblsp sugar
- optional: raisins & pine kernels
- De-gorge the aubergine by placing in a colander and sprinkling with salt. Allow the bitterness to drain for thirty minutes, then rinse the aubergine and pat dry.
- Fry off the aubergine and drain on paper towel. Heat a pan with oil and sauté onions and celery until they begin to colour before adding the capers, tomato sauce, sugar and vinegar and simmering for five minutes. Add the aubergine and olives cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and refrigerate for 24 hours before serving. Serve at room temperature as an antipasta with crusty bread.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Margherita Pizza, Parma Ham & Rocket: Fulvio
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle