A simple dish to cook and one to get the whole family involved in.
- 12–16 chicken wings
- 4 tblsp sweet chilli sauce
- 4 tblsp soy sauce
- 2 tblsp brown sugar (heaped)
- for the corn on the cob and shelled peas
- 4 corn on the cob (cut in half if you wish)
- sea salt
- 15 g butter (softened)
- 250 g shelled peas (use frozen if you’re pressed for time)
- to serve:
- 1 tblsp toasted sesame seeds
- Place the chicken wings in a bowl and add the sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and sugar, and toss to mix. Leave the chicken to marinate for 2–3 hours, if possible (if you have just a half an hour, that will be fine).
- If you are using husked corn and unshelled peas, get these prepared for cooking first. You can even have a little healthy competition to see who can husk their corn the fastest or who can shell the most peas!
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F), Gas mark 7.
- Spread out the wings and all the marinade in a single layer on an oven tray and cook in the oven for 18–22 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the corn on the cob. Bring a saucepan of water up to the boil, add a pinch of salt and drop in the corn. Cook in boiling water on a medium heat for 6–10 minutes (depending on the size of the sweetcorn) until the kernels are cooked.
- Likewise, cook the shelled peas. Bring a saucepan of water up to the boil, add a pinch of salt and drop in the peas. Cook in boiling water on a high heat for 2–3 minutes, until the peas are cooked. Drain immediately.
- To serve, drain the corn on the cob, spread with a little butter and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Drain the peas. Transfer the vegetables to plates or bowls and add the chicken wings. Sprinkle the chicken with sesame seeds and allow to cool for a minute before eating.
This recipe and many more are available from Rachel's book Rachel's Food for Living, published by Harper Collins
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit, feta salad: Rachel Allen
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking