A delicious healthy burger from Dr Eva Orsmond.
- 5 ml olive oil
- 270 g can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 200 g carrots (approx. 2, grated)
- 150 g onion (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 100 ml low fat natural yoghurt
- 1 rye cracker bread
- 1 egg
- black pepper
- ½ tsp chopped chillies in water
- ¼ cube of vegetable stock
- a little boiling water from the kettle
- for the raita:
- 100 ml natural yoghurt
- ¼ of a cucumber (chopped)
- ¼ of a red pepper (chopped)
- one clove of garlic (crushed)
- 3-4 fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
- pinch of paprika
- green salad leaves to serve
- Heat the oil in a wok or non-stick pan. Add the grated carrot, chopped onion, chopped chillies, crushed garlic, vegetable stock cube and a little hot water to the wok. Stir to combine, cover with a lid and cook on a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the ingredients have softened.
- While this is cooking mash the chickpeas with a potato masher or an electric multi mixer. In a bowl, mix the mashed chickpeas with the cooked carrot and onion mix and set aside to cool.
- Under cling film, bash the rye cracker bread until it looks like breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl, beat the yoghurt and egg together with a fork and stir in the bashed cracker bread. Set aside.
- Once the chickpea, carrot and onion mix has cooled has cooled stir in the yoghurt and cracker bread mixture. Add a pinch of black pepper.
- Form little mini burgers from the mixture (4-6).
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in your wok or non-stick pan on a medium heat and place your burgers on to cook. Place a lid over the pan and leave until fully cooked and browned. (Halfway during cooking turn the burgers so that they cook evenly on both sides).
- While they are cooking make your raita by combining the cucumber, peppers, garlic, mint, yoghurt and pinch of paprika in a bowl.
- To serve, place the cooked chickpea burgers on your serving dish with some green salad leaves and spoon over the raita.
More by Dr Eva Orsmond:
- Mini Homemade Burgers
- Dr Eva's Operation Transformation pancake
- Beef Fillet Stir Fry in Black Bean Sauce