Try making your own delicious homemade burgers.
- 750 g lean minced beef
- 8 shallots or 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3-4 tablespoons double cream or extra-thick single cream
- 4 small flat ice cubes
- salt and pepper
- burger sauce:
- 125 g mayonnaise
- 3 tblsp french mustard (or a combination of brown and american yellow mustard)
- 0.5 iceberg lettuce or 1 whole green lettuce (shredded)
- 4 shallots (finely chopped)
- juice of half lemon
- to serve:
- 4 sesame buns
- sliced tomato, onion and pickled gherkins (to garnish)
- Mix the beef in a large bowl, add the shallots and cream and beat with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Using wet hands, shape the mixture into 4 large balls, then flatten with your fingers into patties about 2.5cm/1in thick.
- Put a small ice cube in the centre of each patty to keep the meat moist.
- Sprinkle the burgers with salt and pepper and place on the barbecue over the hot coals.
- Cook for 3 minutes, then turn to cook the other side.
- Continue until the meat is done to taste.
- To make the sauce, blend the mayonnaise and mustard together in a bowl.
- Add the lettuce and shallots and toss until well combined.
- Season with lemon juice to taste.
- Split the sesame buns and toast on the barbecue.
- Serve each burger in a bun, topped with the sauce. Garnish with sliced tomato, onion rings and pickled gherkins.