A delicious bread.
- 125 g cornmeal (stoneground, if possible)
- 150 g plain flour
- 50 g granulated sugar
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 225 ml buttermilk
- 2 slices bacon rashers (crisply cooked and diced)
- 75 g butter (melted)
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Grease a 23cm/9in square baking tin.
- Stir all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, then stir in the buttermilk, bacon, butter and egg, and mix gently.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin, set on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- The bread is ready when the edges are lightly browned and a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre.
- Cut into 7.5cm/3in squares to serve.