A great vegetarian dish that can be served with a chilli-spiced warm tomato sauce if it's chilly out!
- 2 medium aubergine
- 2 sweet red peppers
- olive oil for brushing
- 2 fresh balls of mozzarella (sliced)
- 3 tblsp flat parsley leaves
- spicy tomato sauce:
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (crushed)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 small red chilli (finely sliced or pinch of dried chilli flakes)
- To make the sauce, combine the tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, paprika, sugar, and chilli with a dash of water and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat a ridged grill or overhead grill.
- Cut the aubergines crosswise into eight thick rounds.
- Cut four ‘walls’ from each red pepper, discarding the inner core and seeds. Brush the vegetables with olive oil and grill on both sides until tender and well-marked.
- Drain the mozzarella and cut into 8 slices.
- Make small stacks of aubergine, mozzarella and red pepper and place under the grill for 1 minute to melt the mozzarella.
- To serve, double-up the stacks, placing four on top of the other four.
- Spoon the spicy tomato sauce over and around and scatter with parsley.