- 1 aubergine
- 1 garlic clove sliced
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- about 25ml/1fl oz extra virgin oil (plus extra to serve)
- 2 tblsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- mint or coriander sprigs, to garnish
- Cut slits in the aubergine and insert the garlic slices.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 220°C (425°F/Gas 7), for 30-40 minutes until the skins are charred and blistered.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Cut the aubergine in half and scoop out the flesh and the garlic slices.
- Squeeze out and discard the juices.
- Put the aubergine flesh, garlic, cumin, paprika into a food processor and mix to a puree.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil to give the consistency of a soft dip.
- Add the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the puree to a bowl.
- Just before serving, dribble over some olive oil and garnish with mint or coriander sprigs.