Enjoy with large dollops of freshly whipped cream.
- 250 g (9oz) icing sugar, sifted
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tsp cornflour, sifted
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 100 g (3½ oz) good-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 100 g (3½ oz) pistachio nuts, finely chopped
- whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F/ Gas 2) and line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Draw three 12cm (4¾ in) circles on each piece of parchment. Then turn the parchment over so your meringues don’t end up with pencil marks on them.
- In a stand-alone mixer or using a hand-held electric mixer, whisk the icing sugar and egg whites together on high for 10 minutes until glossy white peaks form. Using a spatula, fold in the cornflour and vinegar, then gently fold in the chocolate and pistachios.
- Divide the meringue mixture between the circles pencilled on the parchment and, using a tablespoon, swirl the mixture to form six equal-sized meringue discs. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Enjoy with large dollops of freshly whipped cream.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted
- Roast Chicken: Donal Skehan style