Try out this delicious side dish.
- 300 ml (10½ fl oz) milk
- 300 ml (10½ fl oz) double cream
- a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) floury potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 75 g (3oz) cheddar cheese, grated
- 25 g (1oz) parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 ramekins or small ovenproof dishes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Bring the milk, cream, nutmeg, thyme and garlic to a steady simmer in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, season with salt and black pepper and set aside.
- Layer the potatoes in the ramekins or serving dishes, pressing them down to make them snug and tight, then pour the milk and cream mixture over each dish. Mix together the cheddar and parmesan cheese and sprinkle over the top, then place the ramekins on a baking tray.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden brown on top and tender on the inside. Allow to stand for about 10 minutes before serving.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa