Devour - that's an order!
- 3 kg (6.5lb) baby back pork ribs
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced in half
- 1 bulb of garlic, unpeeled and top sliced off
- a generous pinch of sea salt
- for the barbecue sauce:
- 60 g (2½oz) demerara sugar
- 4 tblsp dark soy sauce
- 4 tblsp tomato ketchup
- 4 tblsp honey
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tblsp dried english mustard
- 2 tsp tabasco sauce
- Cut the strips of ribs into manageable pieces, with about 3-4 ribs to each piece, then put the ribs in a large saucepan with the onions, garlic, a generous pinch of salt and enough cold water to cover. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 1-1½ hours until the meat is tender.
- Shortly before the ribs are cooked, preheat the grill to medium or light a barbecue.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the barbecue sauce together in a saucepan. Bring to the boil over a high heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until you have a thick sauce.
- Remove the ribs from the pan and place in a large baking dish or roasting tray, then coat with half the barbecue sauce. Cook under the hot grill or on the barbecue for 5 minutes on each side and then serve with the rest of the barbecue sauce (reaheat if necessary) and devour!
More by Donal Skehan:
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted
- Roast Chicken: Donal Skehan style