- 4 large mackerel, gutted
- olive oil
- 2 lemons, cut into slices
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- smoked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a squeeze of lemon juice, to serve
- Preheat the grill to high or light a barbecue.
- Place the mackerel on a plate, drizzle each one with olive oil inside and out then stuff with the lemon slices, garlic and chilli. Season with a good pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Cook the mackerel under the hot grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or place in a fish basket and cook on the barbecue for the same amount of time.
- Place the fish on a large serving dish, drizzle with a little extra olive oil and season with a generous squeeze of lemon juice. Serve straight away.