- 400 g (14oz) spaghetti
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 225 g (8oz) pancetta or bacon bits
- 50 g (2oz) parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 egg yolks
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan according to the instructions on the packet. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the pancetta and fry for 2-3 minutes until crisp. If the pancetta is quite fatty, you won’t need the oil, as it will release its own fat.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving a little of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the saucepan and, while it is still steaming hot, add the parmesan cheese, egg yolks and cooked pancetta and season with salt and black pepper. Quickly stir everything together to give a creamy coating to the pasta.
- Serve straight away, as the pasta can become a bit stodgy if left in the pan for too long. All the more reason to get it out of the pan and into your belly!