This is also good served with bulgur wheat.
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- 10 chicken thighs, skinned, boned and cut in half
- 50 g (2oz) dried apricots, finely sliced
- 50 g (2oz) sultanas
- 1 tblsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tblsp honey
- 2 x 400g (9oz) tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 250 g (9oz) couscous
- a handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped, to serve
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl. Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, add half the spice mixture and toss until the chicken pieces are thoroughly coated. Cover and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours to allow the spices to permeate the meat.
- Place the apricots and sultanas in a bowl and cover them with boiling water.
- Heat the oil in a large high-sided frying pan over a high heat, add the marinated chicken pieces and fry until browned all over. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and fry for 1 minute over a low heat, then add the remaining spice mixture and fry until the onions are soft.
- Add the apricots and sultanas and the soaking liquid, along with the honey, chopped tomatoes and bouillon powder.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has reduced and thickened. Add the chicken pieces and toss until coated in the sauce then cook gently for 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Prepare the couscous according to instruction on the packet and serve with the chicken, sprinkled generously with chopped coriander. This is also good served with bulgur wheat.
This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero , published by Harper Collins.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Caramelised Banana American Pancakes
- Carrot and Courgette Cake with Rosemary and Orange Crème Fraîche
- Beer Batter Fish Tacos with Cherry Tomato Salsa