This tasty leg of lamb is complimented by roasted vegetables and two sauces.
- 1 leg of lamb (around 1.25kg)
- 2 red peppers
- 2 courgettes
- a bunch of new carrots
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 sprigs of thyme, 1 of rosemary
- 6 dessert spoons of olive oil
- 30 g butter
- for the yogurt sauce:
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 sage leaves
- 25 g pot of natural yoghurt
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- for the red wine sauce:
- 25 cl of red wine
- 20 g chilled butter
- salt and pepper
- Begin by making the yoghurt sauce: Peel and chop the garlic and finely chop the sage: mix these and all the other ingredients with the yoghurt and place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 240°C: Wash the courgettes, peel the carrots and de-seed the peppers before cutting all these vegetables up roughly.
- Place the leg of lamb in an oven dish with all these vegetables around it, the unpeeled garlic, the thyme and the rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil and some melted butter and begin by cooking it for 15 minutes in the hot oven.
- Then reduce the temperature to 200°C and leave to cook for at least another 30-40 minutes for pink or longer if you wish for the lamb to be cooked more.
- Remove the lamb and vegetables from the oven dish: deglaze the dish over a high heat with the red wine and allow to boil, briefly.
- Drain this sauce through a strainer along with the cooked cloves of garlic and press them through. Thicken the sauce in a saucepan with the chilled butter by whisking it in.
- Slice the meat, serve with the roasted vegetables and some herbed new potatoes.
More by Eamonn Ó Cathain:
- Steamed Baby Leeks With Mustard Sauce And Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes