An Easter favourite!
- 7 g sachet of easy blend dried yeast
- 1 dsp light brown sugar
- 110 g strong baker’s flour
- 200 g warm milk
- 300 g strong baker’s flour
- pinch salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 50 g butter
- 50 g brown sugar
- 200 g currants & sultanas mixed
- 2 egg yolks
- orange & cardamom glaze:
- 75 g caster sugar
- juice of one orange
- 3 cardamom pods
- 100 ml water
- Make the batter first by mixing all ingredients together, transfer to a bowl and cover down with some cling film and leave to rise for approx 30 minute until the mixture has bubbled up.
- Meanwhile sieve the flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
- Add in the orange zest and butter and rub the small amount of butter into the dry ingredients. Sugar ad dried fruit can be incorporated at this stage also.
- Pour the batter in on top of the dry ingredients and add in the two egg yolks for added richness. Mix until all of the ingredients have come together.
- Transfer the mixture onto a floured work surface and kneed for 4-5 minutes until the mixture has come together.
- Divide the dough into 9 balls and place them side by side on a flat baking sheet (A little room between each as they will spread) and cover them with a dry cloth. Leave to rise for approximately an hour in a warm environment.
- When the rolls have risen dramatically take a sharp knife and place a cross on top of each one of them
- (Alternatively you could blend some flour with some water and pipe a cross on top of the either)
- Bake in the oven at 190°C (375°F/Gas 5) for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- To make the Orange & Cardamom Glaze:
- Bring all ingredients to the boil for 3-4 minutes until a thick syrup has been achieved.
- Brush the top of the buns with this boiling syrup. Serve.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops