A little bit of cool, a little bit of sweet and a whole mouthful of indulgence from Dr Oetker
- 115 g (4 oz) baking margarine, softened
- 115 g (4 oz) light brown sugar
- 2.5 ml (½ tsp) dr oetker vanilla extract
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 100 g (3½ oz) plain flour
- 15 g (½ oz) cocoa powder
- 7.5 ml (1½ tsp) baking powder
- 50 g (2 oz) dr oetker white chocolate chips
- 150 g (5 oz) icing sugar
- 5 ml (1tsp) dr oetker peppermint essence
- dr oetker chocolate strands to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (170°C fan oven, 375°F, gas 5). Line 10 cupcake tins with brown paper cup cake cases. In a mixing bowl, beat the margarine with the sugar until pale and creamy-light in texture. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually whisk in the eggs, then sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Add the chocolate chips and using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the dry ingredients into the mixture.
- Spoon into the cake cases and bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 16-18 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- For the icing, sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl and add the peppermint essence and 20-25ml (4-5tsp) warm water to make a smooth, spreadable icing.
- Spread the icing thickly over each cup cake and sprinkle with chocolate strands before the icing begins to set. Allow the icing to set for a few minutes before serving.
More by Dr Oetker:
- Peanut Caramel Puddings with Chocolate Sauce
- Millionaire's Muffins
- Surprise Inside Caramel Cupcake Centres