- 150 g (5oz) butter
- 150 g (5oz) light brown sugar
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 200 g (7oz) plain flour
- 1 sachet (1 tsp) dr. oetker baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- 350 g (12oz) mixed dried fruit
- 50 g (2oz) glace cherries, chopped
- 50 g (2oz) chopped mixed peel
- 1 tblsp rum or brandy (optional)
- 2 tblsp dr. oetker apricot glaze
- 500 g dr. oetker marzipan
- 12 dr. oetker muffin cases
- dr. oetker ready to roll icing, red, green or yellow
- dr. oetker writing icing
- Preheat oven to 190°C/170°C fan/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Line a muffin pan with 12 Dr. Oetker Muffin Cases.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together by hand or with a mixer until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sieve the flour with the Baking Powder and mixed spice then gently stir into the creamed mixture along with lemon zest until fully combined. Finally add the fruit and rum or brandy, and fold together.
- Spoon half the mixture into the Muffin Cases, grate 175g (6oz) of the Marzipan on the coarse side of a grater and divide between the cases, then top with the remaining cake mixture. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile roll out the rest of the Marzipan to a thickness of a €1 coin and cut out 12 circles using a 7.5cm (3”) plain cookie cutter (the same diameter as the muffin cases). With the scraps of Marzipan roll into lots of small balls about the size of a pea.
- Heat the apricot jam in a small saucepan or warm in the microwave for 40 seconds until melted.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and brush the tops with the apricot glaze. Place a circle of marzipan on each then crimp the edges. Arrange 11 marzipan balls around the edge of each cupcake (11 is the traditional number used on Simnel cakes, representing the apostles).
- Lightly dab the balls with apricot glaze. Return to the oven for 5 minutes until the Marzipan is golden, then remove and cool.
- To make the flowers: roll out the icing and using a dainty flower cutter, make small flowers. Dab the underside with Apricot Glaze (a cotton bud is perfect for this) and attach to the top.
- Add small dots in the centre of each flower with a Writing Icing.
For more baking inspiration check out www.oetker.ie and if you’d like to chat directly with the baking experts, join us on Facebook ‘Dr. Oetker Baking Ireland’.