- 4 small clusters of cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 4 flat field mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tblsp rapeseed oil
- 6 eggs
- 3 tblsp milk or cream
- 1 tblsp snipped fresh chives, plus extra to garnish
- 40 g (1 1/2oz) butter, softened
- 4 slices wholemeal bread
- 200 g (7oz) smoked salmon slices
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F/gas mark 7) and preheat the grill.
- Place the cherry tomatoes and mushrooms in a small roasting tin and sprinkle over the thyme. Season to taste and drizzle with the rapeseed oil. Roast for 15–20 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and the cherry tomatoes are lightly charred and just beginning to burst.
- Break the eggs into a bowl and add the milk or cream, chives and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Blitz with a stick blender, as this helps make the resulting scrambled eggs even lighter and fluffier.
- Heat a knob of the butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, until foaming. Add the egg mixture and whisk continuously for 2–3 minutes, until just set but still soft. Remove from the heat, as they will continue to cook. Check the seasoning and add a pinch of salt if you think it needs it.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast the bread on a grill rack, then spread each piece of toast with the remaining butter and cut into triangles.
- To serve, arrange two of the toasted bread triangles on each warmed plate. Top each one with the scrambled eggs and arrange the smoked salmon to the side. Add the roasted cherry tomatoes and field mushrooms, then garnish with the chives.
Variation: Smoked Kipper with Lemon Butter
- Skin double smoked kipper fillets, removing any pin bones. Heat a large heavy-based frying pan and add a knob of butter and 1 tablespoon rapeseed oil.
- Gently fry the kippers for 1–2 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- Add another knob of butter and a squeeze of lemon, then sprinkle over 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley and chives, swirling the pan to make an instant lemon butter sauce.
- Serve at once with the scrambled eggs and garnish with lemon wedges.