Louise Lennox goes all Irish with this lovely breakfast treat.
- 1 lb self raising flour
- 4 oz butter (cubed)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 floz whole milk
- 4 oz honey
- 6 oz frozen mixed berries
- 1 tub of clotted cream
- In a large bowl rub together flour and butter until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- Whisk eggs, milk and 2 oz of honey together then pour into the flour mix. Gently stir with a fork until a soft ball is formed.
- Roll out scone dough into a 10inch round on a lightly floured surface and cut into eight triangles. Or You can use a cookie cutter to do this.
- Lightly sprinkle a baking tray with flour and place scones on top leaving space in between them.Brush the top of the scones with beaten egg yolk mixed with 4 tbsp.water.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 190°C for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- While the scones are baking make the berry compote by simply heating the frozen berries in a pot with the remaining honey, bring to the boil, simmer for five minutes.
- Serve the scones warm cut in half topped with the warm berry compote and clotted cream.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones
- Valentine's Day Choc Fudge Lollies: Louise Lennox