This recipe is made from all Irish ingredients including Green Saffron Spices and Glenilen Farm butter
- 0 An organic chicken of your choice
- 16 small shallots or pickling onions, peeled
- 12 cloves of garlic left whole skin on
- 150 ml fresh chicken or vegetable stock
- 50 g butter, cubed, straight from the fridge
- 2 tblsp crème fraîche to finish sauce
- 15 g green saffron korma spices
- 1/4 tsp natural sea salt
- small handful, finely chopped, fresh curly parsley.
- 1/2 tsp very finely grated or ‘microplane’ lemon zest.
- Mix all Spiced Butter ingredients together in bowl. Take the bird and place into a casserole pot.
- Carefully lift the skin of the bird away from neck-end and gently push the butter in, lifting with your fingers between the bird & flesh.
- Then, rub the Korma butter over each of the legs and under both breasts
- Take a piece of butchers string and tie the bird so the legs are kept into the body.
- Remove the bird from the casserole and skim the juices to remove excess fat, then add 2 tspn of the Green Saffron Korma spice blend and allow to bubble gently until it’s reduced by half.
- Now, add the crème fraîche and continue to reduce down so the sauce just coats the back of a spoon, then add the cubed, cold butter and stir through.
- Turn your oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Place the onions, garlic, stock and prepared chicken into the casserole and seal the lid with a strip of tin foil. Roast for 50- 65minutes
More by Arun Kapil:
- Today: Have a Liver Bit of Arun Kapil's Dinner
- Cauliflower 'Chips': Arun Kapil Today show recipe
- Sofa Chicken: Arun Kapil's Today recipe