Catherine's weekend dinner recipe, use with the best of Irish ingredients.
- 1 kg stewing beef, trimmed of fat
- flour with salt and pepper added
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 1 dsp sugar
- 1 tsp english mustard powder
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tblsp worcestershire sauce
- a bouquet garni (4 parsley sprigs, 1 fresh thyme sprig and 1 bay leaf, tied together)
- 500 ml guinness
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Cut the meat into 1½ inch cubes and toss in the flour. Heat some of the olive oil and fry the beef until nicely browned on all sides.
- Place the meat into a deep, heavy bottom saucepan. Add some more oil to the frying pan and gently fry the onions. Deglaze the pan with some of the Guinness.
- Add the carrots, the Guinness and juices from the pan, the sugar, the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, tomatoes and bouquet garni to the saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for approximately 2 hours or until the meat is tender. Be careful during this time not to stir the dish too much as it can break up the meat.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if required. Garnish with chopped parsley when serving.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- A Day with Catherine Fulvio
- Pavlova: Summer Strawberries, Basil Drizzle
- Catherine Fulvio's Courgette, Feta and Chive Tart