This is a wonderfully light, fluffy cake due to the airy whisked egg whites folded in. Subtly scented with spices and lightly fragranced with citrus, this cake is perfect with a cup of tea. Or serve as a dessert with Greek yoghurt and fresh fruit if you want a lighter finish to a meal. I've used vanilla bean paste here which is one of my Pantry Pals (I love the aroma and natural sweetness of real vanilla seeds). The solid ingredients in this cake are measured in millilitres, so use your measuring jug instead of weighing scales.
- 500 ml self raising flour
- 175 ml caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 ml sunflower oil
- 5 eggs, separated
- 200 ml water
- zest of 1 orange
- zest of 2 limes
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tblsp icing sugar
- Sift together the flour, salt and sugar.
- Add the oil, beaten yolks and cold water, whisk well.
- Beat the egg white until stiff peaks form and fold into the batter, along with the vanilla, spices and citrus zest.
- Pour the batter into a large, buttered spring form cake tin and bake at 180°C for about an hour.
- Allow the cake to cool before removing from the tin.
- Dust with icing sugar.
More by Rozanne Stevens:
- Chicken Wholegrain Rolls: Food on the Go!
- Spiced Citrus Cake: Something for the Weekend
- Monica's Berry Baileys Meringue Roulade