- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 2 eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 55 g butter
- sunflower oil
- 2 tblsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- chocolate orange sauce
- 150 g good quality dark chocolate
- 150 ml cream
- zest of 1 orange
- To make the chocolate sauce, place a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water. Gently melt the chocolate with half the orange zest in the glass bowl. Gradually add the cream and stir well until glossy and smooth. Serve in a warmed jug with extra orange zest for garnish.
- Cut each slice of bread into 4 fingers.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a pie dish or soup plate.
- Dip the bread fingers into the eggy mixture and coat well.
- Melt half the butter with a tablespoon of oil in a non stick frying pan. When the butter is foaming, fry the bread until golden brown on both sides. Add the remaining butter and more oil if needed until all the bread is fried.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over the warm toast.
- Serve warm with the warm orange chocolate sauce.