- 2 lamb shanks
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 4 turnips
- 2 parsnips
- 4 leaves of blanched savoy cabbage
- 2 tblsp barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 peppercorns
- Place the shanks, bay & peppercorns in a large pot and make sure they are well covered with water.
- Cook on a gentle simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the peeled vegetables and cook for a further 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the lamb is almost coming away from the bone.
- Add the blanched cabbage and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Serve in shallow bowls.