To serve, place a lettuce leaf on your plate, top with the pickled vegetables and chicken. Fold over the lettuce and enjoy.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tblsp sugar
- 1.5 tblsp thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1.5 tblsp sunflower oil
- 1 tblsp fresh lime juice
- 1.5 tsp hot chilli sauce
- 800 g chicken breasts, cut crosswise into 0.5cm thick slices
- 0 crisp iceberg lettuce leaves
- 2 tblsp baby beansprouts
- 3 medium carrots, peeled
- 6 radishes
- 1 cucumber
- 220 ml rice vinegar
- 100 g sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- To marinate the chicken, whisk together the garlic, sugar, fish sauce, oil, lime juice and chilli sauce in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.
- To make the pickle, cut the carrots, cucumber and radish into julienne (very slim strips). Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved, then add the vegetables and toss to combine. Leave to stand for about 30 minutes, until the vegetables are wilted.
- To grill the chicken, heat a griddle pan over a medium heat, then grill the chicken in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the pan. Allow to colour on one side before turning over to brown on the other side. This will give a lovely caramel flavour. When the chicken is fully cooked, transfer to a warmed serving plate.
- Strain the pickled vegetables and arrange around the chicken. To serve, place a lettuce leaf on your plate, top with the pickled vegetables and chicken. Fold over the lettuce and enjoy.