Garnish with fresh coriander.
- 2 tblsp sunflower oil
- 1.2 kg chicken, jointed
- 250 ml coconut milk
- 2 tblsp massaman curry paste
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 60 g peanuts, toasted
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cardamon pods
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp tamarind paste
- 2 tsp thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- steamed thai fragrant rice
- coriander, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large wok or deep frying pan and brown the chicken pieces in batches over a high heat. Remove from the pan along with the juices and set aside.
- Reduce the heat, add 2 tbsp of the coconut milk to the pan and cook for about 20 seconds before adding the curry paste. Cook for 1-2 minutes until aromatic.
- Return the chicken and juices to the pan. Add the remaining coconut milk, stock, peanuts, onions, potatoes, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, sugar, tamarind paste and Thai fish sauce. Stir to combine.
- Cover and simmer, stirring from time to time for about 35-40 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Serve with the steamed rice and garnish with fresh coriander.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Brussels Sprouts With Butter (or Cannellini) Beans
- Christmas Bombe with Cranberry and Cointreau Sauce
- Veggie Christmas: Butternut Squash, Sage Risotto