Want a convenient, filling and simple supper or main? Place an array of toppings in the centre of the table and everyone in the family can select the topping of their choice for their baked potatoes - guaranteed happy families.
- 8 baking potatoes, washed
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- rock salt
- 8 rashers bacon, finely chopped
- 2 large onions, finely sliced
- 100 g light crème fraiche
- 2 tblsp milk
- 2 tblsp chives, chopped
- 100 g mature white cheddar, grated
- 2 tblsp parsley, chopped
- 100 g baby spinach leaves, washed and trimmed
- 100 ml broccoli florets, blanched
- 100 g sweetcorn, cooked
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, for sauting the onions
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan/Gas 4).
- Brush the potatoes with olive oil and place in a roasting tin.
- Bake for about 30–40 minutes depending on the size until crispy on the outer skin and soft inside.
- In the meantime, fry the bacon until crispy and place in a small bowl.
- Heat a large frying pan with olive oil, saute the onions until softened and caramelised.
- Combine the chives and crème fraiche and place in a bowl ready for the table.
- Place the grated cheese in a bowl.
- Place the spinach, broccoli and sweetcorn in bowls.
- Cut a cross into each – season with a little salt and pepper and allow to cool slightly.
- Place everything on the table, ready for everyone to help themselves.
More by Catherine Fulvio:
- Brussels Sprouts With Butter (or Cannellini) Beans
- Christmas Bombe with Cranberry and Cointreau Sauce
- Veggie Christmas: Butternut Squash, Sage Risotto