Derry drops by Four Live to make a mean soup, restaurant-style!
- 2 potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 onion peeled and diced
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml cream
- 100 g butter
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 large head of Savoy cabbage
- 100 g diced smoked bacon
- 150 ml whipped cream
- 50 ml buttermilk
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- Heat a large saucepot over a medium heat.
- Melt butter and add onion garlic and thyme and cook for 5 mins. DO NOT BROWN.
- Remove the outer green leaves of the cabbage. Cut two green leaves into thin strips for garnish. Chop the rest of the green leaves and centre of cabbage. Add the chopped centre of cabbage, chicken stock, potatoes and simmer for 15 mins.
- Add the chopped green cabbage leaves cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 mins and liquidise in food processor till smooth. Pass through a sieve.
- Over a high heat add a little vegetable oil to a pan and sauté the bacon until crispy.
- Remove from pan and place on kitchen paper.
- Mix all ingredients together and season with salt & pepper.
- Pour soup into serving bowls.
- Place cabbage strips into centre and spoon some of the buttermilk cream on top.
- Sprinkle the crispy bacon over the soup.