Served with Red Onion Potatoes And Warm Balsamic Apple Vinaigrette
- 4 each boned ray wing (Richie's were from Wrights of Marino)
- 50 ml rapeseed oil
- 50 g butter
- 1 kg rooster potatoes, cut into ¼ inch cubes
- 250 g finely chopped red onion
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- 20 g finely chopped thyme (a growing pleasure)
- 20 g finely chopped flat parsley (a growing pleasure)
- 200 ml apple balsamic vinegar (fruit and vine Lusk)
- 200 ml rapeseed oil
- salt and pepper
- Begin by rolling each fillet into small parcels/rolls; hold each one’s shape by using a skewer.
- Place an oven safe pan onto a high heat and drizzle a little rapeseed oil in. Once the pan is hot place the ray rolls in, turn continuously until golden brown all over.
- Now add the butter and based the rolls in the melted butter. Now place the pan in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees for about 6-7 minutes.
- While the fish is cooking deep fry the potato cubes at 180 degrees until they are golden brown and crisp.
- In a large based pot drizzle a little more rapeseed oil and sauté the red onions over a moderate heat until they are soft. Now add the crushed garlic and thyme to the onions.
- While still over the heat pour in the cooked fried potatoes to the onions. Stir gently until the potatoes have absorbed the onion juice.
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley, Set to one side until ready to serve.
- In a smaller pot, pour in the vinegar and boil until it has reduced by half. Now remove from the heat and add the 200 ml of rapeseed oil. This will split the vinegar to form your dressing.
- Place a large pile of the potatoes in the centre of a hot plate. Place the Ray on top and drizzle over the warm vinegar dressing. Now skater the rocket and beta cress along with the pea shoots around the plate (it will surprise you just how much flavor is in this cress).
Richie's top tip: If you can persuade your fish monger to take the ray off the bone, it makes this dish so much more pleasurable to eat!
More by Richie Wilson:
- Barbequed Leg Of Lamb with Rosemary Marinade and Granny's Potatoes with Summer Salad
- Burger and Chips
- Hot Chocolate Fondant - Lemon And White Chocolate Mini Eggs In Orange Caramel Sauce