- 1.50 kg chicken, jointed into 8 portions (ask your butcher to do this)
- seasoned plain flour for dusting
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 80 g chorizo, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- 1 tblsp tomato purée
- 400 g can chopped tomato
- 1 l chicken stock (hot)
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 400 g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- seasoned flour
- Preheat the slow cooker on 'high' for 20 minutes.
- Meantime, dust the chicken with the seasoned flour.
- Heat a frying pan with oil. Add the chicken in batches and lightly brown.
- Remove from the pan, add the chorizo and onion and sauté for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Place the chicken and chorizo mix into the slow cooker.
- Add in the carrots, parsnips, tomato purée and chopped tomatoes, hot stock, thyme and bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on 'high' for 15 minutes.
- Then reduce to 'low' for about 3-4 hours, or until the chicken is tender and falling of the bone.
- Add the beans and check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary.
- Cook on 'high' for another hour.
- Serve with a rustic-style bread.
Catherine's tip: Add in handfuls of baby spinach at the end of cooking. This is not only extra healthy but gives a great colour.