Rose petal sandwiches were popular in the years leading up to World War Two.
- 60 dried organic rose petals
- a few drops of rose essence
- 25 g (1oz) butter, at room temperature
- 12 slices of soft white bread
- 6 tsp lavender honey
- Soak the dried rose petals in a bowl of cold water with the rose essence for 20 minutes (this rehydrates the petal and gives it more flavour), then drain and set aside.
- Butter the bread, then spread the honey over 6 of the slices.
- Divide the rose petals between the 6 slices of honeyed bread and top with the remaining bread slices. Cut off the crusts with a serrated bread knife, cut each round diagonally into 4 sandwiches and serve immediately.
- Top Tip:
- If growing the roses yourself never use pesticides.