Chinese at home - and easier than you think!
- 1 pork steak - cut into thin strips
- 110 g plain white flour
- 1 dsp cornflour
- 350 ml sparkling water (approx)
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- sweet & sour sauce:
- 1 carrot (cut into strips)
- 0.5 leek (cut into strips)
- 1 ½ mixed peppers (cut into strips)
- 0.5 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tblsp soft light brown sugar
- 2 tblsp rice vinegar
- 2 tblsp sherry
- 6 tblsp dark soy sauce
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 2 tblsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tblsp cornflour mixed with a little water
- Sieve the plain flour and the cornflour into a large mixing bowl and add a pinch of cayenne pepper which will give the dish a little added heat.
- Whisk in the egg and the sparkling water and mix them thoroughly until the mixture is combined and of a coating consistency.
- Refrigerate until required.
- Heat a deep fat fryer or a large pot/wok with some sunflower oil.
- To test is it ready drop a cube of bread into the oil to see if it will become golden brown.
- Cut the pork into very thin strips and toss them in a separate bowl of seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
- Transfer the floured pork into the chilled tempura batter and mix the pork around until it is well coated in the batter.
- Drop the battered pork strips into the oil and cook for 3-4 minutes until the pork is well cooked through to the centre.
- Meanwhile heat a large wok or saucepan with a little oil and add in the crushed garlic and the julienne vegetables and cook them gently for 3-4 minutes.
- Next add in the brown sugar and allow this to slightly caramelise the vegetables.
- Pour in the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sherry, ketchup and chicken stock and allow this mixture to come to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour with a little water and add this to the mixture and allow to simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Serve the sauce with the crispy pork and some plain boiled basmati rice.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show