This is a favourite takeawayish recipe, perfect for kids and people trying to convert to healthier dinners. Jam packed with extra crunchy, colourful veggies that you can sneak into your family's diet. The ish factor is the sauce, a really tasty authentic sauce but with a fraction of the sugar of shop-bought 'cook in' sauces.
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips and seasoned with salt and pepper
- sunflower oil, for stir frying
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
- 400 g tin of pineapple pieces, drained and juice reserved
- sweet and sour sauce
- 2 tblsp tomato ketchup
- 2 tblsp plum sauce
- 2 tblsp light soy sauce
- 60 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tblsp cornflour dissolved in 1 tbsp water
- 60 ml chicken stock (use a corner of a stock cube)
- reserved pineapple juice
- brown basmati rice
- Mix all the sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a wok and stir fry the chicken in batches until browned and cooked through. Set aside in a clean bowl.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil and stir fry the vegetables until cooked but still crunchy, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, pineapple pieces and sauce. Bring to the boil and wait for the sauce to thicken while stirring.
- Serve immediatley with brown basmati rice.
Recipe from Rozanne Steven's cook book, Delish , available in all good book store.
More by Rozanne Stevens:
- Monica's Berry Baileys Meringue Roulade
- Monica's Magic Molten Chocolate Pudding
- Norman's Butterflied Leg of Lamb with Lively Salsa