This works well with Arun Kapil's Chicken Pot recipe and is really easy to make.
- 1 large savoy cabbage – outside woody leaves removed
- 4 ‘banana’ shallots (the long ones) – peeled and finely chopped for the stuffing
- 1 clove of peeled and finely diced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 good size real pork sausages - skins removed
- chicken ‘offal’ from above + 50g cleaned chicken livers (or if the offal’s not available use 125g of cleaned chicken livers instead)
- 100 g streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 75 g white bread crumbs
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp fresh black pepper
- 2 tsp green saffron vadagam spices
- 25 g finely chopped fresh curly parsley
- 50-100g unsalted butter for frying
- Take a 175mm, 7in flan or pie tin. Peel about 10 of the largest bright green leaves from the cabbage, blanch them in rapidly salted boiling water for no more than 60 seconds, then pop into a bowl of ice-cubes.
- Next, slice the remaining cabbage into very thin strips, a chiffonade if we’re being all posh!
- Sweat the sliced cabbage ‘chiffonade’ gently in 50g of butter for around 5 minutes, then take off the heat allow to cool completely
- Take the cleaned chicken livers, chop them roughly and using the same pan as the cabbage, quickly fry until they’re just lightly browned
- Pop into a separate bowl
- Then in the same pan, add the streaky bacon, the garlic, the chopped shallots, thyme and spices and cook for 3-5 minutes,
- Then, add the breadcrumb, cook for a further 2-3 minutes adding more butter as required
- Now, scrape the fry pan out into a bowl, add the liver mix, mix all gently but well together
- Add the sausage meat and the egg to bind so the mix should not be too wet.
- Take the blanched leaves, remove the hard central spine of the leaves, then layer the base of a buttered flan dish so that they overhang well.
- Put half the cabbage, then the meat mix into the dish then cover with the remaining ‘chiffonade’ press down gently, place one large leaf over the mix then fold over the other leaves so you have a neat 'pie',
- Cover with a sheet of grease-proof, then foil and place into a ‘bain marie’ with enough water so as the water goes half way up the side of the flan dish.
- Roast for 45-55minutes at 180°C, gas mark 4.
- Rest covered for 10 minutes, then turn out on to a serving plate and cut into wedges
- NB: any left-over cabbage cake is great as a snack enjoyed at room temperature
- Serve immediately with the chicken and maybe a nice pilau rice and croutons spread with Green Saffron Mango chutney.
More by Arun Kapil:
- Today: Have a Liver Bit of Arun Kapil's Dinner
- Cauliflower 'Chips': Arun Kapil Today show recipe
- Sofa Chicken: Arun Kapil's Today recipe