This dish creates a sumptuous medley of flavours and colours.
- 2 pink grapefruit
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and cut into 1cm (½in) dice
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 200 g (7oz) feta cheese, cut into 1cm (½in) cubes
- 2 tblsp chopped mint
- olive oil, for drizzling
- freshly ground black
- To peel the grapefruit, first cut a slice off the top and the bottom of each one, cutting through just below the pith and into the flesh.
- Place the grapefruit on a plate (to collect the juice) and, using a small sharp knife, slice off the peel in strips following the curvature of the fruit. Cut away any white pith, leaving as much of the flesh as possible.
- Once the grapefruit are peeled, slice them crossways into rounds about 1cm (½in) thick, then slice each of these into quarters.
Rachel's tips: The chopped grapefruit and any juice into a wide serving bowl, add the fennel and the sugar and toss together. Scatter over the feta and mint and serve drizzled with a little olive oil and a grinding of black pepper.t 1cm (½in) thick, then slice each of these into quarters.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit, feta salad: Rachel Allen
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking