Beautiful served warm, with a little mascarpone
- 200 g (7oz) strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 5 small–medium nectarines (about 400g/14oz in total), stones removed and flesh cut into 5mm (¼in) thick slices
- 1 tblsp lemon juice
- 1–2 tbsp caster sugar
- 500 g (1lb 2oz) ready rolled puff pastry (or roll out a block of puff pastry to a thickness of about 4mm/1/8in)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F), Gas mark 7.
- Place the strawberries and nectarines in a bowl and mix together with the lemon juice and caster sugar (adding more or less sugar depending on how sweet the fruit is).
- Trim the pastry into a 25 x 30cm (10 x 12in) rectangle and transfer to a baking sheet. Carefully arrange the strawberries and nectarines in overlapping alternate slices on top of the pastry, leaving a 1cm (½in) border all the way round.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20–25 minutes or until the pastry has turned golden and the fruit is bubbling and slightly caramelised. Serve immediately, perhaps with a little mascarpone.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit, feta salad: Rachel Allen
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking