Make this traditional potato dish.
- 250 g raw potato
- 250 g mashed potato
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- large knob of butter (melted)
- 125 ml milk
- Grate the raw potatoes into a bowl. Turn out onto a cloth and wring, catching the liquid. This will separate into a clear fluid with starch at the bottom. Pour off the fluid and scrape out the starch and mix with the grated and mashed potatoes.
- Sieve the dry ingredients and mix in along with the melted butter. Add a little milk if necessary to make a pliable dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface. Divide into four and form large, flat cakes. Mark each into quarters but do not cut right through, and bake on a griddle or in a heavy pan.
- If liked, more milk and an egg can be added to make a batter which can be fried in bacon fat like drop scones.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Fish and Chips with Minted Peas: Kevin Dundon
- Fiery Fajitas with Salsa: Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Chocolate Fondants: Kevin Dundon, Today