This makes a delicious and quirky starter for a dinner party, but is also suitable for children's school lunchboxes or picnics. Although the recipe suggests pancakes, you could do something like this using tortilla wraps instead. They are also a fantastic canapé to serve with drinks.
- 225 g plain flour
- 2 dsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 450 ml milk
- 1 lemon (grated zest)
- 0.5 tblsp oil/butter
- pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tblsp crème fraiche
- 1 tblsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 lemon (juice)
- cracked black pepper
- 12 slices of smoked salmon
- In a large mixing bowl, sieve the flour and the salt together.
- Break in the two large eggs and add the milk, whisking continuously until a smooth batter has been achieved.
- Add in the grated lemon zest and the chopped parsley at this stage also. Mix thoroughly until combined and then transfer into the fridge to rest for at least half an hour or until required.
- Meanwhile heat a pan until quite hot. Add a little oil or butter to the pan and then spoon in some of the pancake batter and swirl quickly until the entire pan has been covered with the batter.
- Allow to cook for a moment or two on either side until they are nice and golden brown.
- Store the pancakes between discs of parchment paper and, if necessary, refrigerate until required.
- Mix the crème fraiche, parsley, lemon juice and cracked black pepper together and store in a bowl.
- Thinly slice the smoked salmon (or buy presliced).
- Lay the pancakes out flat on a chopping board. Spread with some of the lemon-scented crème fraiche and then arrange some smoked salmon on top. Roll up very tightly and cut with a sharp knife into rounds, discarding the end slices. The rounds should be approximately an inch wide.
- Arrange onto a large serving platter.
- Serve immediately or transfer to the fridge.
All recipes taken from 'Food to Love' by Edward Hayden now available in paperback in all good bookshops and www.obrien.ie priced €14.99. Look out for Edward’s new book in spring 2013!
More by Edward Hayden:
- The sexiest sandwich eva? Muffuletta
- Chocolate and hazelnut biscotti
- Garlic and rosemary-smeared lamb cutlets