- 125 g plain flour
- small pinch of salt
- 1 medium egg (beaten)
- 275 ml semi-skimmed milk (may need up to 25ml more)
- vegetable or sunflower oil (for frying)
- 2 handfuls cooked and peeled prawns
- a bag of spinach
- 1/2 tub crème fraîche
- grated parmesan or mature cheddar
- To make the batter, sift the flour with a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, pour in the egg and slowly whisk in enough milk to make a smooth batter, the consistency of pouring cream.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. When hot, dip some kitchen paper in the oil and wipe across the surface of the pan. Add a small ladleful of batter and tilt the pan to swirl the batter evenly and thinly. Cook for 1-2 minutes, until the pancake is golden underneath.
- Loosen all around the pancake with a palette knife. Flip over and cook for a further minute, until golden. Slide out onto a plate and repeat to finish up the batter – oil the pan between each pancake.
- Set the pancakes aside.
- Now for the savoury filling, mix 2 handfuls cooked and peeled prawns, a bag of spinach, wilted and excess water squeezed out, 1/2 tub crème fraîche and grated Parmesan.
- Fill each cooked pancake, fold up like an envelope and put in a dish.
- Dot with the remaining crème fraîche and scatter with a little more grated cheese.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes, until hot and golden. Serve immediately.
French pancakes can be made ahead of time and then re-heated with the filling. Make this into a meal by adding, ham, baked beans and cheese! Keep it low fat by using low fat mozzarella and lots of veggies. Add as many toppings as you wish!