Pecans and maple sauce are a staple of North America, so Rachel encorporates them into a delicious muffin recipe
- 200 g (7oz) butter
- 200 g (7oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 100 g (3.5 oz) milk or dark chocolate, in drops or broken into pieces
- 75 g (3oz) pecans, roughly chopped
- 200 g (7oz) self-raising flour
- 25 ml (1fl oz) maple syrup, for the glaze
- 12-cup muffin tray and 12 muffin cases
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4), and line the muffin tray with the paper cases.
- Cream the butter until soft in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer.
- Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then tip in the chocolate and pecans and fold in with the flour to combine.
- Divide the batter between the muffin cases, filling each case three quarters full.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until golden on top and lightly springy to the touch.
- Transfer the tin to a wire rack and brush each muffin with some of the maple syrup.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the tin and place on the wire rack to finish cooling.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit, feta salad: Rachel Allen
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking