A sumptuous recipe from Odlums for the perfect chocolate cake
- 25 g (1oz) cocoa (sieved)
- 125 g (4 oz) margarine (at room temperature)
- 125 g (4 oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 170 ml carton of cream
- 2 bars of good quality plain chocolate (100g each)
- Preheat oven to 170° (325°F/Gas 3). Base line 2 x 18cm/7” sandwich tins.
- Put flour, cocoa, margarine, sugar and eggs into a mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Transfer to prepared tins and bake for approx. 25 minutes.
- Cool cakes in tins for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire tray to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place chocolate and cream in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow chocolate to melt, stirring occasionally. When melted, remove from the heat and stir well. Allow to cool and begin to “set”.
- Sandwich the cakes with about a third of the topping and pour remainder over the assembled cake.
- Decorate top with red roses.