The perfect accompaniment to a nice cup of tea, these lemon drizzle slices are light and zesty, and a good alternative for those who don't particularly love heavy cake. If you aren't too keen on baking, this all-in-one recipe makes things very simple and gives impressive results.
- 250 g (9oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225 g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 225 g (8oz) butter, at room temperature
- 3 tblsp milk
- grated zest of 3 lemons
- 200 g (7oz) icing sugar
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F/Gas 3). Line a 30 x 23cm (12 x 9in) rectangular baking tin with parchment paper.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and make a well in the middle with the back of a spoon. Add the eggs, butter, milk and lemon zest and beat with an electric hand mixer until well combined, for about 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the lined tin, place on the middle rack in the oven and cook for 35 minutes until risen and golden brown on top. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Whisk together the ingredients for the drizzle and spread over the top of the cooled lemon cake. Allow to set for about 1 hour before slicing into 30 pieces.