A traditional choice from Rachel Allen's 'Bake' book
- 150 g (5oz) butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 150 g (5oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- a few drops (not more than 1/8 tsp) of almond essence or extract
- 50 ml (2fl oz) milk
- 150 g (5oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 150 g (5oz) ground almonds
- 150 g (5oz) fresh or frozen (and defrosted) raspberries
- 25 g (1oz) flaked almonds
- icing sugar, for dusting
- softly whipped cream and fresh raspberries, to decorate
- 20 cm (8in) diameter cake tin with 6cm
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4), then butter the sides of the cake tin and line the base with a disc of baking parchment.
- Cream the butter until soft in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Whisk the eggs and the almond essence or extract together in a small bowl for a few seconds or just until combined, then gradually add the eggs to the creamed butter mixture, beating all the time.
- Next beat in the milk, then add the flour and ground almonds, carefully folding these in just until they are mixed.
- Next add the raspberries and fold in gently so as not to break them up too much. Tip the batter into the prepared tin, then scatter over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 50–55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Use a small, sharp knife to loosen the edges, then carefully remove the cake from the tin and leave on a wire rack to cool down completely before transferring to a serving plate.
- Dust with icing sugar. Serve with softly whipped cream if you wish, or decorate with fresh raspberries.
More by Rachel Allen:
- Fennel, pink grapefruit and feta salad
- Chocolate Pear Tart: Rachel Allen Coastal Cooking
- Roast Goose, stuffing: Rachel's Coastal Cooking