Kevin Dundon pops by the Today studio to make a simple American classic
- 400 g minced beef
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp dried mix herbs
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tblsp tomato puree
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tblsp worcestershire sauce
- 900 g (2 lbs) rooster potatoes
- 1 bulb garlic, roasted
- 50 g (1 ¾ oz) butter
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4).
- In a large bowl, combine the minced beef, onion, garlic, carrots, breadcrumbs, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and egg. Place in a parchment lined loaf tin and smooth the surface.
- Cover with foil and place in a preheated oven for 35 minutes, then remove and drain off any excess liquid.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place in a large saucepan and barely cover with water, cook for 25 minutes until very tender but not falling apart.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan over a low heat. Using a potato masher roughly mash the potatoes.
- Add butter and beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy. Season with salt and pepper.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops