A treasure from my Christmas Special visit to Austria!
- 110g butter plus extra for greasing
- 150g soft light brown sugar
- 2 large free range eggs
- 210g plain flour, sifted
- 1tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 300g peeled, cored and sliced cooking apple (shouldn't be more than one large one)
- 50g flaked almonds
- 3 tblsp apple or apricot jam
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, grease and line a 20cm cake tin with a removable base.
- With an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until pale.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until they are incorporated.
- Fold through the flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom and cinnamon until you have a thick cake batter.
- Stir through the apple and pour the batter into the cake tin.
- The batter will be thick, so use a spatula to spread across the base of the tin.
- Spread the almonds on top of the cake and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes. Cover with tin foil if the almonds brown too much.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- As the cake is cooling, heat the jam in a saucepan until runny and brush over top of the cake.
More by Donal Skehan:
- My Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella
- Moroccan Chickpea Burgers: Lunch/Dinner sorted