There is something wonderfully satisfying about putting a beautiful turkey sitting in the middle of the table on Christmas day and serving your salivating family. If cooked properly the turkey can be a deliciously moist bird which can be enjoyed by all the family. Plan every aspect of your Christmas cookery carefully and meticulously and then you can relax a little more on the actual day.
- 6.5 kg (approx, 14lb) turkey
- 250 g butter
- 3 tblsp sage
- 1 medium sized onion
- seasoning-salt and pepper
- 400 g sausagemeat stuffing
- 400 g sage & onion stuffing
- Preheat the oven to 200C (400F/Gas 6).
- On Christmas morning prepare to stuff your turkey with your prepared stuffings.
- Soften the butter in a bowl add the sage and mix. Rub some butter underneath the turkey breast skin by lifting the skin gently with your hands and massaging the butter onto the flesh.
- Place the sausagemeat stuffing in the neck cavity and then line the cavity with some tin foil or parchment paper and loosely pack the sage stuffing into the bird. Don’t forget to weigh the turkey again with the stuffing enclosed.
- Put the Turkey onto a large roasting tray and place in the preheated oven.
- Put the turkey into the oven and begin to bake. If you feel the turkey is browning too quickly you can cover down the turkey with some tin foil for the first two hours.
- Allocate 20 minutes per pound and then an additional 20-30 minutes in the oven. In total it should take about 4 hours. When a skewer is inserted into the meat nearest the bone (ie-the Leg) the juices should run completely clear.
- Allow the meat to rest when it comes out of the oven and carve as required.
- Enjoy the turkey and the day!
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show