This is an excellent Christmas dish for all the family from Kevin Dundon.
- 2 kg / 4 ½lb pork rack, bottom bone remove, top bone left in with skin attached
- 2 dsp rock salt
- sunflower oil.
- 3 - 4 medium sized carrots
- 2 onions diced
- sea salt and freshly milled black pepper
- apple compote
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into small chunks
- 150 ml apple cider
- 1 – 2 shallots, sliced
- 20 g butter
- 50 g brown sugar
- 100 g sultanas
- salt & pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 240°C/475°F/gas mark 9. Lay the carrots, and onions on the base of a large roasting tray. Score the fat on the pork in a criss cross pattern with a very sharp knife. Drizzle with a little sunflower oil and rub with the rock salt.
- Transfer to the oven and roast for 20 minutes then remove the pork from the oven and reduce the heat to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Place the pork back into the oven for a further 1 ¾ - 2 hours.
- (Cooking time allowing 30 - 35 minutes to the pound) - by which stage the juices of the meat should run clear and the skin should be nice and crisp.
- Transfer the meat to a carving board and allow it to rest for twenty minutes until you are ready to carve.
- Carve the meat and serve some crackling to everyone.
- Apple compote: Take 2 tablespoons of cooking fat from the roasting pan and place in a small pan, add the shallots and cook over a medium heat for 2 – 3minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook until thickened.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops