- 2 tblsp fine breadcrumbs
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 110g (4oz) caster sugar
- 110g (4oz) plain flour
- 140g (5oz) butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g (3½oz) icing sugar
- 2 tblsp orange juice
- Grated zest of ½ orange
- Toasted skinned almonds, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6 and grease a 20cm (8in) cake tin with a removable base. Sprinkle in the breadcrumbs.
- Beat the eggs and sugar in a medium-sized mixing bowl with a whisk until pale and light. Sift the flour into a separate bowl, then make a well in the centre and pour in the melted butter. Using a wooden spoon, mix thoroughly until you have a smooth batter.
- Gently fold in the egg and sugar mixture, along with the baking powder, until combined. Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- When completely cool, transfer to a cake stand. Whisk together the icing sugar, orange juice and zest and drizzle over the cake. Decorate with the toasted almonds and allow to set before serving in generous slices with coffee or tea.