This recipe makes perfectly crisp gingerbread biscuits which snap and crumble in the mouth.
- 150 ml golden syrup – highbank orchards organic golden syrup, kilkenny – fallon & byrne
- 250 g sugar - siucra
- 200 g butter - kerrygold
- 150 ml cream - avonmore
- 1 tsp ground ginger – packed in ireland
- 1 tsp cinnamon – packed in ireland
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda – bought in local shop
- 700 g plain flour - odlums
- Line a baking tray with a silicone baking mat or just lightly dust flour on the surface.
- Place a large pot over a medium heat and add in the golden syrup, sugar and butter.
- Melt the mixture down until the butter has melted and the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Take off the pot of the heat and stir through the cream and spices. Add the bicarbonate of soda and flour a little bit at a time, mixing with a wooden spoon until you have mixed it all through.
- Work the dough together until you have a loose mixture. Cover and leave in cool place overnight and the next day you should be left with a thick dough.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Flour a work surface and roll out the dough to the thickness of about 2mm. So basically as thin as you can because you want the biscuits to rise only slightly so they will be nice and crisp when they cool.
- Using cutters of your choice (though you can’t go wrong with a gingerbread man) cut out the biscuits and place on the lined baking trays.
- Place in the oven for 10 mins or until the biscuits are a rich brown colour. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Work through the rest of the dough making biscuits and make sure to use up the pastry scraps by pressing them together so you can roll the dough out again and cut more biscuits.
Donal's top tips: Leave the dough overnight in a cool place so it thickens. Use a variety of different cutters to make festive shapes! Store in a biscuit tin or airtight container so they remain crisp!
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Fish & Chips recipe
- My Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella